Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

West Ham Game 1 2009

It was a week to the day after West Ham United finished a creditable 9th position in the Barclay’s Premier League, winning their final match against relegated Middlesbrough. On this hot and sunny beginning to the month of June, twenty six excitable Hammers fans made their way to the Boleyn Ground in sizzling conditions hoping to emulate their heroes in front of their friends and family in the stands. 

Monday 1st June 2009
The Boleyn Ground
West Ham United Home vs West Ham United Away
Game 1
K.O: 10.00am
Match Officials: Gordon Manning, Peter Gill and Steve Worsely

The match began at a fast tempo, with both sides eager to impress during the opening exchanges. It took all of a minute for the first chance to be created with Simon Breach of the Away team latching onto the ball and dodging the challenge from the keeper, which was ultimately then ushered wide by the defence. In the 10th minute the Away side again came close to opening the scoring when Wayne Quarrie received the ball just outside the area and hit an early shot with his left foot that was heading inside the left post until Geoff Baldock tipped it away.

The Away team deservedly opened the scoring shortly afterwards through Captain Terry Lee, who ran through a challenge from Darryl Beecham and cracked a left-footed shot past the keepers left glove and into the net from the edge of the box. In the 23rd minute however, the Home side drew level as Matthew Palmer broke down the right, his initial attempt at a cross being blocked. He then latched onto the loose ball and cut the ball back for Andrew Mortimer to send a right foot volley past the keeper to equalise.

The Away side had more possession and were creating more chances as the game continued, and in the 39th minute they got their reward. Billy Hinken hit a ball over the top of the defence from the right of midfield, to striker Simon Breach, who used his strength to turn his marker before firing a great left foot finish past the keeper.

Just on the stroke of halftime, the Away team extended the lead again, when Steven Thompson, who had been causing havoc in the Home defence throughout the first half, stole possession just inside the opposition half and ran straight at goal, past two challenges, then laid the ball off for midfielder Terry Lee to hit a first time left-footed shot over keeper Baldock for his second of the match.

Half Time: West Ham United Home 1 – 3 West Ham United Away

The two sides emerged from the break knowing the next goal would be crucial to the result and it was the Away team who got it two minutes into the second half. Simon Breach crossed in the ball from the right allowing Billy Hinken to hit a terrific right-footed volley into the net. Less than two minutes later the Hinken scored again for the Away side - the ball falling nicely to his feet only for the midfielder to then brake through a challenge, then drag the ball back before firing his second in as many minutes past the keeper to increase their lead to 1-5.

The goals just kept on coming for the Away team as they continued to pile on the pressure. There was only 52 minutes on the clock when they scored their sixth goal, after Ray Tammam went down inside the box after a challenge from the keeper. It was the forward who stepped up to dispatch the penalty into the bottom left corner, making it 6 goals to 1. The Home side were having to defend wave after wave of attack, and in the 63rd minute when a Home player fell on the ball in the centre of the pitch, Steven Thompson was quickest to react. He took the ball and drove it towards goal, racing away from the defenders before he cut inside onto his right foot, shooting just wide of the left post.

Moments later, the Away team earned themselves a corner that was taken from the left flag – the cross subsequently directed to the back post where it was met by Simon Breach who headed it back towards the centre of net, somehow missing everyone and bouncing harmlessly past the keeper for his teams seventh goal. Almost straight from the re-start Simon Breach grabbed his hat-trick after a great driving run down the right wing ended with the ball being crossed in to the near post, where Breach got in front of his marker to head it past the keeper.

The Away side were rampant by this stage, and looked as though they would score every time they came forward. In the 72nd minute, midfielder Wayne Quarrie skipped passed two challenges, played a one-two with a teammate, got past the last defender and hit a powerful left-footed finish past the keepers right hand and grabbing a deserved goal for a great performance. Three minutes later and the Away side had a second player score his hat-trick; this time it was Billy Hinken, who received a cross in from the right, that was initially headed down by Ray Tammam, and then headed the ball past the keeper for the tenth goal. 

With ten minutes remaining, the Home side finally had something to celebrate. Chris Whitelock ran down the left wing at pace, and came back inside onto his right foot as he approached the box to shoot from the edge of the area. His effort however was saved by the keeper, but the rebound was gratefully knocked in by Andrew Mortimer. The joy was short lived though as in the 87nd minute the Away team scored direct from a free-kick, with Steven Thompson curling a sumptuous right foot effort round the wall and into the bottom right corner from fully 25 yards to increase the scoreline to 2-11. 

During the final minutes, with the result already decided, the game really opened up. A free kick to the Home team deep inside their own half was completely mis-hit, allowing for Andrew Mortimer to intercept the ball and run away from two defenders coming back inside from the left. His shot back across goal into the bottom left corner allowed him to celebrate the third hat-trick of the game. It was fitting that the Away team scored the final goal of a match they had controlled from start to finish, with Wayne Quarrie hitting a free kick from almost 35 yards that looped up-and-over the wall and into the net via the crossbar. 

Full Time: West Ham United Home 3 – 12 West Ham United Away 

Home Team: Baldock, Blowers, Beecham, Brook, Cates, Bryant, Whitelock, Mortimer, Richards, Palmer, Davidson, Donlon, Taylor

Away Team: Van Horn, Gearing, Wheildon, Field, Parish, Cahill, Lee, Breach, Thompson, Tammam, Bill, Hinken, Quarrie

Mascots: Jacob Beecham and Danny Wilson

Man of the Match (home): Andrew Mortimer
Man of the Match (away): Simon Breach
Moment of the Match: Terry Lee