Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Sheffield Wednesday 2009

Thursday 7th May 2009
Sheffield Wednesday Home vs Sheffield Wednesday Away
K.O: 6.00pm
Legends: Lawrie Madden and Greg Fee
Match Officials: Tom Bramall, Matt Tyers, Paul Cooper and James Bell

The match started off at a frenzied pace with both teams bristling with energy and eager to showcase their talent in front of the lively crowd of family and friends supporting in the stands. It was the home side that looked the more cohesive during the early exchanges, keeping the ball down and passing to feet. Most of the action, however, was confined to the middle third of the pitch with neither side creating any clear openings.

It took until the 10th minute for the first genuine chance and it came the way of the home team; Matt Hall playing the ball across the box from the left towards Craig Wood who was running in on goal, away keeper Tom Lindley intercepting with a strong challenge. Five minutes later and there was nothing Lindley could do to stop what was the opening goal of the game; Scott beard receiving the ball just outside the box to the right of goal, he laid it off for Dean Thorpe to hit a first time right foot shot past Lindley into the left of the net (1-0).

In the 23rd minute the home team almost doubled their advantage, this time Craig Wood fired the ball in from wide right, Alex Fletcher getting on the end of it but somehow he hit his shot wide of the right hand post from all of 5 yards, before hanging his head in his hands. The away side produced an opportunity to level the match moments later when Andy Wilby ran towards the right touchline before pulling the ball back into the centre of goal, Stephen Hardy controlled the ball on his chest then shot high over the bar from 8 yards!

One of the moments of the match arrived on the half hour mark - Nigel Howard from the away team hitting a high hanging ball into the area that just missed his team mate and was unintentionally saved by the head of keeper, Michael Ingham. With ten minutes to go till half time the away team missed a great opportunity to get on the score sheet; Nigel Howard firing over a fabulous cross from the right that found captain Stuart Laver at the back post, Laver chesting the ball down but skewing his shot wide with the goal at his mercy!

Just before half time the home team should really have extended their lead - away keeper Tom Lindley first saving a powerful Alex Fletcher effort from the edge of the box, then reacting quickly to block the follow up shot from Andrew Golynski - great goalkeeping.

Half Time: Sheffield Wednesday Home 1 - 0 Sheffield Wednesday Away

The second half seemed to take a while to settle down and the opening ten minutes were fairly even, both sides adjusting to their half time substitutions. In the 57th minute the match was back on level terms; Stephen Hardy received a throw in inside the box to the right of goal, he laid the ball off for second half substitute Tim Wadsworth to hit a first time left foot strike inside the near post (1-1).

Having got themselves back into the match the away team were now beginning to exert some pressure on the home side and they quickly established the greater possession. In the 66th minute Chris Eales miss-hit an intended long cross that was heading for goal, home keeper Michael Ingham tipping the ball onto the bar then reacting quickly to palm the ball away from an onrushing player (we'd like to point out this description is disputed by Chris, he described his cross/shot instead as an "inspired piece of football and a moment of almost genius", like Ronaldinho's free-kick against England the debate will rage on!).

The away side were definitely in the ascendancy now and the advantage finally told when they took the lead for the first time in the match in the 71st minute; James Fox crossed the ball in from the left and another half-time substitute, Paul Bossons, getting in front of the defender the head down low past the keeper (1-2).

The pace of the game slowed down as the match entered the final twenty minutes, with both teams showing signs of fatigue most of the play was now confined to the middle of the pitch and clear cut chances were certainly at a premium. The away team did create an opportunity to extend their lead with only 6 minutes remaining - Paul Bossons intercepted a clearance on the left wing before running at goal, squaring the ball for Stephen Hardy, his right foot shot sailed high and wide from 25 yards out.

The last chance of the match again fell to the away side, this time a deflected cross finding captain, Stuart Laver, unmarked outside the box whose right foot shot was well saved down low to his right by Michael Ingham. Football Aid Ball

Full Time: Sheffield Wednesday Home 1 - 2 Sheffield Wednesday Away

Home Team: Ingham, Richard Johnson, Esberger, R. Thorpe, Beard, D. Thorpe, Fletcher, Wood, Hall, Golynski, Stannard, Wileman

Away Team: Lindley, Blacknell, D. Wilby, Lonsdale, Howard, Eales, Doughty, A. Wilby, Laver, Hardy, Bossons, Fox, Wadsworth, Yates

Mascots: James Thorpe & Alex Hardy

Man of the Match (Home): Bob Thorpe
Man of the Match (Away): Tom Lindley
Moment of the Match: Michael Ingham