Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Newcastle United 2009

Two days after the Newcastle United first team were relegated to the Championship, twenty-five Magpies set up camp in their respective changing rooms, with smiles on their faces and excitement in their team. This was their day: a day where only Newcastle United could win. At 1.40pm, the players lined up and took their very own revered run through the tunnel and out onto the pitch for their 2009 Live the Dream event at St James.

Tuesday 26th May 2009
Newcastle United Vs Newcastle United Away
St James’ Park
K.O: 1.45pm
Legends: John Carver and Alan Shoulder
Match Officials: Colin Woods, Kevin George, Terry Barrett and David Bransby

It was the Away team that kicked off the match, however it was the Home team that were quick to gain possession with some great passing play between Chris Arthur, Gary Miller and Mark Bowes. It wasn’t until the 15th minute that the first real shot on target was attempted, and possession had gone back to the Away team. George Lloyd ran down the wing, and passed the ball into the box – flying straight past Home defender Nick Bergman. The midfielder then went to strike, the ball frustratingly close to going in the back of the net, but Home keeper Simon Elston just pipping it out for a corner. 

Three minutes later, and the first goal of the game was scored, not surprisingly for the Away team. Midfielder Michael Bell sprinted down the right hand side of the pitch, and passed the ball into the box to Steve Moseby – the striker slotting the ball low straight past the keeper. 

The restart showed no mercy to the Home team as the Away team were quick to regain possession. Jamie Stidwell intercepted the ball in the middle of the park, and quickly passed to Michael Bell. The midfielder then ran straight down the pitch, passing Home defender Robert Tait to go one-on-one with the keeper. To the crowd, a second Away goal was imminent, however from two yards out, Bell could not convert and struck the ball wide for a goal kick.

In the 20th minute there was a on-the-floor fight for posession between Away midfielder Carl Bowes and Home midfielder Stephen Starkey. It was Bowes that finally won the ball, however his retention did not last long as he took a shot straight into the arms of Home goalkeeper, Elston. 

Amidst great positioning by Away legend Alan Shoulder, it was striker Jamie Stidwell that doubled the lead for the Away side on the 25th minute. A one-on-one with Elston gave away midfielder Dave Taylor to get into space, and then produce a great chip over the Home defence back to Stidwell, who collected and converted the ball nicely into the back of the net.

A mere 4 minutes of play passed, when an incident in the box paved way for the Away team to further their lead by means of a penalty. A corner was taken, and David Mount was there to collect the ball. Unfortunately, so was Home defender John Boynton, who pushed right into the midfielder resulting in the penalty. Mount stepped up to the mark to take the shot, however lobbed the ball straight down the middle and bounced off of the keeper. Unfortunately the rebound that was caught by captain Dave Taylor was shot far above the bar. 

With only 8 minutes of the first half remaining, the Away team were still dominating the play, creating another fantastic chance to go further ahead. George Lloyd spotted striker Steve Moseby in the box, who upon gaining possession struck a fantastic ball towards the goal – only for once again, the ball to be sent straight into the arms of keeper Simon Elston.

Not to be disheartened, the Away team marched on, and good interplay between Stidwell, Bowes and Moseby resulted in the latter taking a shot on goal, only for the ball to go wide. One minute before the half time whistle went, the Away team continued to push for a third goal, and he was lucky to keep out the many shots on target by Carl Bowes and Jamie Stidwell.

In an extra-ordinary turn of events, the Home team were able to bring one back right at the end of injury time courtesy of John Boynton. A corner into the box was smashed towards the goal, however Away keeper Steve Miller fumbled with the ball, allowing defender Boynton to collect the rebound and slot it into the bottom left hand corner. 

Half Time: Newcastle United Home 1 – 2 Newcastle Away

It was obvious to the crowd that John Carver’s team talk had worked wonders, as the Home team came out to a strong start. A free kick was taken in the middle of the park by Home goal scorer John Boynton, reaching the feet of Phil Wilkinson. The right back passed the ball across the box to striker and captain, Anthony Anderson who took a shot on target, but just went wide of the goal.

In the 57th minute, the half time team-swapping substitute Craig Hope levelled up the score for the Home team. The defender obtained the ball and ran it through the midfield, straight through the Away defence, putting the ball low past Away keeper, Steve Miller. This goal added a sense of excitement to the Home team, as they knew with one more goal, they would take the lead.

6 minutes later, there was another goal – this time, it was the Away team that capitalised on a Home misjudgement. Midfielder Philip Williams sent the ball flying towards the goal, applying further danger to the Away team. However none of the Home strikers were able to get to the ball, allowing the Away team to intercept just outside of the box. A long ball into the centre circle found Away defender Clark, who went on to make a magnificent run down the right wing, and past Home midfielder Williams, to slot the ball down low of the keepers left hand side. 

The Away team were desperate to increase their lead, with possession not leaving their half of the pitch for the next 5 minutes. Some great interplay between legend Alan Shoulder, David Mount and Dave Taylor, with Carl Bowes constantly running into open space, allowed them to demonstrate their teamwork ability, as well as provide a major threat to the Home defence.

A good chance for the Away team came again in the 71st minute as great ball control in the midfield by Michael Bell allowed the midfielder to skilfully pass to George Lloyd who had found space on the right. His run up the wing gave midfielder Carl Bowes the opportunity to look for space in the box, and as Lloyd squared it to him it looked as though the ball would be easily slotted into the bottom right hand corner. Unfortunately for the midfielder, keeper Simon Elston had also spotted what was going to happen, and slid out to collect the ball from the ground.

The Home team were beginning to retain a little bit more of the possession, however still struggled to find the strength for the equaliser, as each shot was neatly struck into the arms of Away keeper Steve Miller. And it wasn’t long before the ball was positioned back inside the opposite half, and the Away team had another shot on goal courtesy of centre forward Steve Moseby, the shot flying high over the target. The subsequent goal kick in the 81st minute, taken by Home midfielder Philip Williams, unfortunately landed at the feet of David Mount, who first touch struck the ball goalward, only to hit off the post and back into play. The midfielder wasn’t to be defeated, managing to get the rebound and striking the ball straight past the keepers left hand side and into the back of the net for the Away teams fourth of the match. 

It didn’t get any better for the Home team morale, as a mere 60 seconds later, the Away team added another goal to their tally. A long kick from the defence reached Michael Bell, and with his run he managed to bypass Home defender Phil Wilkinson, and took the ball right to the keeper, who tried to save it, but the ball flew off his hand and into the net to make it 2-5. A 6th goal came in quick succession, when Carl Bowes received a ball in from the right, and with his first touch put the ball straight into the left hand side of the net. 

And that was that. An emphatic win for the Away side, but an overall fantastic performance from both teams.

Full Time: Newcastle Home 2-6 Newcastle Away

Home Team: Elston, Wilkinson, Boynton, Hope, Bergman, Bowes, Williams, Starkey, Newport, Miller, Anderson, Arthur, Tait, Dixon 

Away Team: Miller, Rogers, Shoulder, Dunning, Hope, Clark, Bowes, Lloyd, Mount, Moseby, Bell, Stidwell, Taylor, Cutler

Mascot: Caitlin Dixon
Man of the Match (home): Simon Elston
Man of the Match (away): Carl Bowes
Moment of the Match: David Mount