Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Man City Game 2 2009

As night time fell in Manchester, the second Football Aid match was getting ready to kick-off - the heavens had also opened which only added to the atmosphere under the floodlights at The City of Manchester Stadium.

Monday 4th May 2009
Manchester City Home vs Manchester City Away
Game 2 
K.O: 7.30pm
Legends: Kenny Clements and Alan Reilly
Match Officials: Mark Mellor, Thomas Mellor, Andy Stevens and Adrian Waters

The players emerged from the tunnel looking proud, excited and slightly nervous as they were cheered on by their family and friends in the stands. The game began at a frantic pace before both sides realised passing would have to be very accurate on what was a wet and slippery playing surface. Most of the game was taking place in the middle third of the pitch, with neither goalkeeper being tested at this early stage.

How quiet the goalkeepers had been may have contributed to the opening goal; the Home side being awarded a free kick 30yards out slightly to the right of goal, with Mark Brennan stepping up to take it. His curling right foot shot was shot directly at keeper, Mark Colton, who could only manage to parry the shot to the feet of Joseph Millar, the striker gratefully hammering home the rebound.

In the 20th minute, the Home team came agonisingly close to extended their lead when a cross from the right by captain Keiran Brooks, was delicately headed towards the bottom left corner of the net by team mate Joseph Millar. Only a great interception by defender, Darren Dalby, somehow managed to get the ball up and over the cross bar and out for a corner.

The Away team got the equaliser in the 25th minute with a great cross in from the right finding Away striker Daniel Potts unmarked at the back post. His first time right foot effort easily beat the stranded keeper, Mark Colton, and levelled up the score.

On the half hour mark Daniel Potts almost grabbed his second goal – a kick from the home keeper found Potts around 35 yards from goal and his long range effort was directed right at the keeper. Somehow the ball went through his hands and legs, but thankfully for the keeper it didn’t have the pace to cross the line.

Half Time: Manchester City Home 1 – 1 Manchester City Away

The pitch had been thoroughly soaked during the first 45minutes, and the rain was only getting worse as the second half got underway. Both sets of players were finding the conditions fairly heavy but it was making for a great spectacle under the floodlights.

It was the Away side with the better possession, and they were certainly creating the better opportunities. In the 52nd minute, Scott Whensley stole the ball from defender Mark Brennan and ran towards goal from the right of the area. With only the keeper to beat, the midfielder managed to hit his shot wide of the right hand post. 

The conditions were becoming increasingly treacherous for defending and the was stuff of every goalkeepers nightmares. This was highlighted in the 63rd minute when Away midfielder Kenneth Simpson hit a ball across the box that slipped through keeper, Steven Brassington’s gloves and right across the face of goal. Moments later and Brassington was showing everyone his true ability, brilliantly saving a shot from Daniel Potts from just inside the area.

The Home team thought they had taken the lead in the 71st minute, as Philip Thorpe evaded a challenge down the left then entered the box and fired the ball across goal. Brian Kennedy then smacked the shot into the net only to look to his right and see the linesmen’s flag raised for offside. Less than five minutes later and the Away team were given a free kick for a mistimed tackle just outside the box, with Kenneth Simpson taking responsibility and managing to force the keeper into parrying the ball resulting in a scuffle within the area before the ball was finally cleared.

The match was rapidly drawing to a close, but the Away team were intent on grabbing a winner before the whistle. In the 85h minute they almost got their reward. First Kenneth Simpson shot from the right of goal forcing Brassington to parry, then, from the rebound, John Smalley got to the touchline and fired it back across goal for Ben Moore – his volley from 2 yards going agonisingly wide of the left hand post.

The game ended in a well deserved draw.

Full Time: Manchester City Home 1 – 1 Manchester City Away

Home Team: Brassington, Brooks, Clements, Metcalf, Earp, Sarsfield, Kennedy, Brennan, Kelly, Thorpe, Millar, Long, Murray

Away Team: Colton, Norton, Reilly, Dalby, Geeling, Smalley, Whensley, Murray, Potts, Simpson, Moore, Swatkins

Mascots: Alfie Norton and Thomas Simpson

Man of the Match (home): Andrew Long
Man of the Match (away): Kenneth Simpson
Moment of the Match: Steven Brassington