Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

West Ham Game 2 2009

It was almost two weeks since the end of the 2008/09 Premier League season, but for twenty-seven loyal Hammers fans there was one more trip to the Boleyn Ground and one very important match left to play. As the players, their friends and family arrived for the 2009 Football Aid match you could sense how much this meant to everyone involved

Monday 1st June 2009
West Ham Home vs West Ham Away 
Game 2
K.O: 2.30pm
Legends: Paul Brush
Match Officials: Mark Mellor, Thomas Mellor, Peter Munt and Michael Flack

It was absolutely boiling out on the pitch as the players made their way from the dressing rooms to line up in front of their adoring loved ones in the stands. The match began at an impressive pace considering the temperature with both sides trying to let the ball do the work. 

It was the Home side that appeared to settle faster and in the 10th minute they got themselves the opening goal after a free kick was given on the left edge of the box. John Barry took the shot, crossing it into the danger area to the head of Jonathan Dunmore, who’s effort bounced back off the right post. Stuart Jarrett hit a right footed rebound that was brilliantly saved by keeper, James Ingold, who had rushed across his line to get his body in the way.

The opening goal arrive in the 21st minute when a ball was crossed in from the right, arriving in the box for Paul Taylor who took a great touch with his left foot before swivelling and hitting a powerful shot with his right in at the near post. Moment later Taylor grabbed his second, when he managed to get in between two defenders inside the box, taking the ball away from the keeper and placing it low into the net.

The best chance for the Away team came in the 33rd minute through Gian Marco Serra. The midfielder received the ball from a throw in on the right edge of the penalty area, and showed some nice close control to work some space and hit a curling left foot shot that was well saved by Home keeper, Darren Thorne.

That save proved important as within minutes the Home side were three goals up. A corner fell at the feet of Paul Taylor who once again casually slotted home for his early hat-trick. This soon became 4-0 when Joel Saffer passed to Steven Jarrett who hit a brilliant right footed half-volley from the right of the area into the bottom left of goal.

Just before the half time whistle, John Barry played a through ball for Paul Taylor who looked set to score. However just as he was about to shoot, Anthony Baker came from nowhere to execute a brilliant last ditch tackle and clear away the danger.

Half Time: West Ham Home 4 – 0 West Ham Away

The second half started brightly for the Away team with a couple of decent long range efforts produced after some nice build up. Unfortunately for them, it was the Home side that got the first goal of the half, with Kevin Rees driving the ball across goal from the right and Nick Pidgeon volleying it low from two yards out at the far post.

Five minutes later and Pidgeon had his second. He received the ball on the left wing inside the opposition half and ran towards goal before placing a nice right footed finish beyond the reach of James Ingold into the right corner to increase the score line to 6-0. Far from feeling sorry for themselves, the Away side were showing true spirit and continued to create chances as they looked to open their account, with Captain David Harper unfortunate to see his low shot from inside the area well blocked by Home keeper, Darren Thorne.

Nick Pidgeon was the second player on the Home team to score his hat-trick – the other player to score one, Paul Taylor, provided the assist on 80 minutes when he squared the ball across the penalty area for Pidgeon, who hit it right past the diving Ingold for the seventh goal of the game. It was fitting that the final goal came from the subsequent Man of the Match, Paul Taylor, who pouncing on a loose ball at the back post and lashing a right foot shot high over the keeper for his fourth, and the Home team’s eighth.

There was still time for one final chance and it was once again the Home side with striker, Stuart Jarrett, running at goal from inside the area and hitting a curling right foot shot that hit the bar, then the post before bouncing out to Paul Taylor, whose follow up shot was brilliantly blocked by an alert James Ingold.

Full Time: West Ham Home 8 – 0 West Ham Away

Home Team: Thorne, Webb, Dunmore, Grange, Saffer, Jarrett, Barry, Brett, Sibley, Taylor, Rees, Simmonds, Pidgeon

Away Team: Ingold, French, Baker, Blinman, Traynor, Harper, George, Wiltshire, Serra, Eddolls, Briggs, Wheeler, Barry

Mascots: Thomas Thorne, Jamie French and Jessie Milsom

Man of the Match (home): Paul Taylor
Man of the Match (away): Gian Marco Serra
Moment of the Match: James Ingold