Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Leicester City 2009

Less than a month after their idols clinched promotion to the Championship by beating Southend United and winning League One, life-long Foxes fans turned up at The Walker Stadium to play in the 2009 Football Aid Charity Match. The weather could have been better in Leicester as the players arrived at the ground, but thankfully for everyone the rain clouds disappeared as the players walked out to the cheers of their loved ones in the stands. 

Saturday 16th May 2009
Leicester City Home vs Leicester City Away
The Walker Stadium
K.O: 11.00am
Match Officials: Laurence Jones, Chris Parkin, Adam Holyoake, Matt Edkins.
Legends: Ali Mauchlen and Muzzy Izzett

The match began with some nice touches, good passing and plenty endeavour from both teams. But it wasn’t until the 11th minute that the first genuine chance was created, which was duly taken by away striker, Declan Brady with his scramble in the box being turned into the net to lift the score to one-nil. The Away side were certainly creating the better chances and they doubled their lead on 24 minutes when a ball from Karl Bickley was headed in by Thomas Bergin

Just when the fans thought they were in for a one-sided match, the Home side fought their way back into the game courtesy of striker Scott Bennett. Away keeper Jamie Thomas stepped out to claim the ball in the box, however it spilled clear and was gratefully tapped in by Bennett to reduce the deficit. Moments later and Foxes legend Muzzy Izzett put in a great cross from out wide which the Home keeper, Mark Marlow, did well to claim down low.

Just past the half hour mark and it was the Away team that extended their lead, a long-range shot straight at the keeper by Thomas Bergin that somehow ended up in the net, leaving the Away side with a two goal cushion once again. The match was rapidly turning into a classic with the Home side showing some great fighting spirit, rewarded on 39 minutes after a bad attempted clearance falls to Home forward, Scott Bennett, who hard shot at goal hit the keeper, then the bar, before then bouncing out to Stephen Whitby who fired the ball home to make it 2-3.

Almost directly from the re-start the Away side came agonisingly close to extending their lead once again with a fantastic cross in from the right headed towards the goal by Thomas Bergin, only for his effort to smack off the bar! As the first half drew to a close, the Away side looked determined to have more to show for their dominance, and when Declan Brady was played in on goal they did just that – Brady shooting low into the net for his second goal of the match. A mere 30 seconds later and Thomas Bergin had his hat-trick, a penalty being awarded for a dodgy tackle in the area and Bergin stepping up to score a hammer blow for the Away side right on half-time.

Half Time: Leicester City Home 2 – 5 Leicester City Away

The second 45 began with the Home side needing some inspiration to get themselves back into the match and it came from an unlikely source. A corner into the area by Muzzy Izzett was headed at goal by Home midfielder, Craig Bird, and it looked as though the ball was going wide until the unlucky Lance Tomlyn managed to knock it into his own net making the score 3-5..

A minute later and another chance was created by the Home team, when a right wing cross came straight to centre forward, Scott Bennett, who from 4 yards out unluckily headed the ball wide. The game was now a complete contrast to the first half and after 16 minutes the Home team brought another goal back to make it 4-5. A number of Home players who had been trying to shoot at goal were shown the undeniable talent of Muzzy Izzett – a no nonsense finish blasted into the net from just inside the area.

The crowd were getting very involved in what had become a thoroughly competitive match, both teams having their share of possession without too many clear cut chances. That all changed on 26 minutes as the game was level again – Muzzy Izzett once again waltzing into the box and slotting the ball home from 6 yards to grab the teams equalizer. A minute later and a cheeky free-kick by the Away side was chipped over the wall to Daniel Thomas on the right wing, which unfortunately did not matching the ingenuity!

With the scores level and the match entering the final minutes, the Home side had chances to win the game. First Daniel Thomas saw his shot cleared off the line, then Away keeper, Jamie Thomas making a great low save to his right denying them a late winner. 
These missed chances were to prove costly for the Home team as in the very final moments of the match a terrific piece of skill by Daniel Thomas gave him the space to hit a brilliant shot from 20 yards. Home goalkeeper Mark Marlow made an incredible save, tipping the ball onto the post, only for the ball to arrive at John Vint who headed home the winner in this 5-6 wonder match! 

Full Time: Leicester City Home 5 – 6 Leicester City Away

Home Team: Marlow, Aherne, Walsh, Whitby, Aherne, Gregory, Holdsworth, Linnett, Bennett, Whitby, Tyler, Bird, Richards

Away Team: Thomas, Tomlyn, Izzett, Bickley, Locker, Caren, Thomas, Bergin, Vint, Crofts, Brady, Landers, Nash, Mahmoudieh

Mascots: Adam Marlow and Scott Bird 

Man of the Match (home): Paul Whitby
Man of the Match (away): Daniel Thomas
Moment of the Match: Mark Marlow